• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What is your GT/CS' worst servicing headache?

P

PNewitt

What would you consider as the worst, or most annoying part(s) of your GT/CS that you need to service due to failure?

Taillights/Turn Signals?

Turn Signal Switch--other electrical?

Fog Lights?

Upper Control Arms--suspension?

Fiberglass-Body?

Etc???

(mention anything, but I'm going for the CS-specific items)

thanks!

Paul N.

rvrtrash

The worst for me is dealing with the back seat. When I took the car in to have exhaust installed, I had the upper and lower rear seats out to make it easier on the installer (going from single to dual exhaust). The numbnut drilled out the two screw holes to mount the seat back so he could bolt the hangers there. Now whenever I take out the seat, I have to support the exhaust and have someone inside the car with a wrench while I unbolt it from the bottom! :mad: I'm probably going to try and come up with a fix this winter. As for CS specific, I'd say taking the fog lights off or installing them. With the car assembled, there isn't much room to get to the bolt on the bottom (I pulled them looking for part numbers on my rubber gaskets for Paul, and it was a P.I.T.A.).

Steve

Perkchiro

I'd have to say changing out the coil springs. Crank, Crank, Crank on that stupid spring compressor. I had to disconnect the front sway bar to drop the lower control arm down low enough to get the springs out. I dropped one of the springs while is was compressed. WOW, dumb thing can take your arm off!. A close second would be the power steering control valve. Just a messy, greasy job with too many hoses.

1968cal

I would have to say working on the dash wiring on an air condition car. All the wiring and vacuum lines.

John McGilvary

Taking off the fog lights to detail them was the biggest CS pain in the a$$.

I have to agree with Doug on the BB spark plugs. Took me about 20 years to figure out how to change plugs in my CS/CJ in less than a day and ten busted fingers.

John

franklinair

For me, it's removing & installing the instrument cluster - especially if the car has factory A/C. The electrical connectors, and the speedometer cable, and reaching through the A/C-Heater panel cutout - because the cluster has to be almost completely in place before the connectors & speedo cable can be connected. THEN, the A/C duct, heater control cable and vacuum lines must be jockeyed into position. It's a bear, and my fingers & hand suffer numerous scrapes, cuts and a severe loss of precios blood!
Neil

robert campbell

Anything under the dash!!! If it is anything more than a flasher, I take the drivers seat out. I have never owned an air car, and they must be a virtual nightmare.

Take the seats out and use a few pillows to fill the foot wells, and it is a pleasure in comparison!! Might even fall asleep and dream you are on the assembly line! Only takes 8 nuts to release them, and you don't need a jack!!

Rob

JGFRANCK

For me it was replacing the wing window frames in the front doors, I don't think I will ever do that again.

teamlo

I think trying to keep the 40 year old power steering system working and leak-free ranks right up there for me.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

These problems are a reminder that we're working with mid-sixties technology. We're not too far from being considered "vintage" in the ownership experience, just like how Model A, or V8 owners find it harder and harder to keep things working.

Although...I'm sure at times, it's a good feeling to be able to repair something "easily" as compared to parts computer controlled, or inacessable, or via "proprietary tools only", to make you go to a dealer.

Plusses and minuses.

We wear our pride of the upkeep while on the road. The "thumbs up" we get make it all worth the hassles...

Paul N.

PFSlim

I would say dash wiring, rear tail light wiring, and installing windows back into door to work properly. That was a pain in our rebuild. I don't know if it is the new seals or just the fact they a pain, but mine are still stiff in rolling up and down.

Paul

miller511

This is not really a servicing thing, but...

Most every time I put fuel into the CS, some amount of gas will spill out while filling. I assume that it's just the nature of the design on the CS's fill tube and mating up properly with fuel pump handle design vs. modern cars that have a better vapor recovery design (not sure if this is the right terminology). The pump handle just never shuts off soon enough. Any tricks to keep this from happening?

-Jeff

Mustanger

This is not really a servicing thing, but...

Most every time I put fuel into the CS, some amount of gas will spill out while filling. I assume that it's just the nature of the design on the CS's fill tube and mating up properly with fuel pump handle design vs. modern cars that have a better vapor recovery design (not sure if this is the right terminology). The pump handle just never shuts off soon enough. Any tricks to keep this from happening?

-Jeff

I've had this happen before also. My experience has been that not all gas station pumps are the same ... i.e., some will shut off soon enough, while others, unfortunately, will not ... one tip: try to make sure the nozzle is positioned as vertical as possible (e.g., 6:00 position) instead of cocked off to the side (e.g., 8-9:00 position) because the nozzle's sensor is usually located on the bottom of the tip and a 6:00 position will allow it to "sense" the fuel level getting too high ...

Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

There was a whole thread on this on the Vintage Forum site last month.
It's a real pain!

I find better luck at certain gas stations.

One day a young girl that works at a station near me came running out and is jumping around saying "I just want to tell you I LOVE your car!! It's so nice ...."

As I'm saying "Thanks" the darn gas starts shooting out all over the place!! :eek: Real smooth huh? :rolleyes:

Needless to say I don't fill up there anymore! :icon_lol:

pippin

I am looking forward to years of agony with sparkplugs and

header bolts on my GT/CS when i convert it to a bigblock. LOL!

But the torque will make up for it!

HTML:
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/imagesCS/smilies/tongue.gif

robert campbell

Spark plugs are easy with the valve covers off!!! Header bolts are an adventure if you use Hooker Super Comp. long tubes!!! Not sure how any of the other brands are.

Rob

rananim

This is an easy one. That time I was taking my car to auction and the door locks froze up along the way. Not only did I have to find a way to get in, but then had to remove door panels to get to the locks with the doors closed. On top of that, I had few tools with me. Needless to say, car did not make it to auction. I wrote about this before.
Sven