• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Automatic VS Standard

CougarCJ

I agree, I like to row my own in a play car.
My 5 speed conversion is taking waaaaaay too long. Got to get on that one.

classicsguy

Stick-shift all the way!!! I wanted a GT/CS with a 390 and a 4 speed but could not get a hold of one and instead got a 289ci engine with an auto transmission but what the heck its a California Special!!!!! It still fun to drive

p51

Manual with a 5-speed T5 transmission. Yeah, baabyyy :teleport:

rvrtrash

Either way works for me. My 4 speed cars are fun but my CS has an automatic with a shift kit and it'll chirp the tires going into second at half throttle. I don't mind the automatics because I've gotten leg fatigue too many times crawling in traffic at a cruise night.

Steve

davidathans

my times at the track are very consistant with this A1 Racing C4 trans with b&m pro ratchet...but auto with no overdrive with 4.11 gears makes driving on the freeway less fun, wish i could afford a 5 speed or an AOD...

has anyone on this site put an AOD trans behind their V8?

390cs68rcode

davidathans said:
my times at the track are very consistant with this A1 Racing C4 trans with b&m pro ratchet...but auto with no overdrive with 4.11 gears makes driving on the freeway less fun, wish i could afford a 5 speed or an AOD...

has anyone on this site put an AOD trans behind their V8?

got a AOD behind my 66's 347 motor. rear end I believe has a 3.91 in it.

hotrodgrany

p51 said:
Manual with a 5-speed T5 transmission. Yeah, baabyyy :teleport:
I agree with you totally. I have /had 5 speed in all 7 of my Stangs, wouldn't think of have anything else in my babys::thumb:

Redwingrobb

AUTOMATIC ALL THE WAY!! (Need one hand free for my devilish kids:icon_evil )

John McGilvary

When I bought my CS/CJ new I wasn't sure about the C6 auto, until the first time I got on it. After that I was sold on automatics with big blocks. Sill like 4 speeds as long as I'm driving a Mustang. John

davidathans

Hey Jason, you are the man, an AOD on a 347, can i ask you how much you paid for it, and did you have to modify your driveshaft?...what is the 4th gear ratio number? with the 3.90 rear, what do you cruise at on the freeway in terms of rpms and speed? What is it like clunkin into that overdrive? Does it do it automatically or do you have to do something? one other question, do you have Fuel injection on your 347? thanks

390cs68rcode

davidathans said:
Hey Jason, you are the man, an AOD on a 347, can i ask you how much you paid for it, and did you have to modify your driveshaft?...what is the 4th gear ratio number? with the 3.90 rear, what do you cruise at on the freeway in terms of rpms and speed? What is it like clunkin into that overdrive? Does it do it automatically or do you have to do something? one other question, do you have Fuel injection on your 347? thanks

I think it was roughly $2000 but cannot remember. It is a TCI Streetfighter with a B&M shifter. I think we had the original driveshaft shortened. Not sure about the ratios and have no rpm gauge in the car. It just feels like another gear but much taller than the others. It is carbed.

Sorry I can remember all the details, kinda forgot about them. Can't say I drive the car much. While doing the project we keep doing the "while we are at it" thing and it turned out to be a car I don't enjoy. I spent roughly 40k in parts alone plus labor plus the original car. I will probably sell it next year sometime since I don't ever drive it. I prefer original cars (as most know around here).

Diesel Donna

marie68csmustangs said:
Which would you rather drive.. Automatic or standard? I would rather drive standard.. I think standard is much more fun to drive.

Marie

I truly prefer a Cat with a 13 or 18 speed. :grin:
Yes, that's zero to 60 in fifteen minutes. :grin: