• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Chromoly Roll Cage Installed!

davidathans

The pre-made Chromoly roll cage was made by Autoweld Chassis in Pennsylvania. With all the extra options (bent side bars, bent rear support bars (which were not used), swing-out side bar kit, removable seat brace), roll cage padding, and $183 shipping cost the total cost was $899. It took an experience welder about 26 hours to do the job. Here are some pictures of it! I am going to use Linseed oil so it wont rust, for now. I still have to put the padding on.

Probably would have been better off with a custom made cage because this pre-made one didn't tuck up as nice as I wanted it to.

It added about 80 lbs to the car in case you were wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 59

robert campbell

David,
LOOKS GREAT in my eyes. This will really stiffen up your car! You are building one monster of a quarter mile warrior!!

Rob

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Looks great David. Sort of a Mad Max theme to go with your color scheme. :smile:

I know what you mean about maybe being better off with a custom cage. I had a similar issue with my Bronco. I bought a very nice full cage and paid a hefty amount to have it shipped (fully assembled and welded) But once I got it installed I was disappointed because it didn't hug the frame like I thought it should. I finally sold it and had a custom one made. Turned out very nice (although more expensive) and I'm really happy with it.

I'm curious why you're planning on leaving it unpainted? Is it just because now that it's installed it would be a huge PITA to paint? Or is there a technical reason, like the paint might hide early signs of stress fractures? (just a w.a. guess)

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Looks great David. Sort of a Mad Max theme to go with your color scheme. :smile:

I'm curious why you're planning on leaving it unpainted? Is it just because now that it's installed it would be a huge PITA to paint? Or is there a technical reason, like the paint might hide early signs of stress fractures? (just a w.a. guess)

You hit the nail on the head Jon, "stress fractures" I will probably paint it at some point, maybe with just clear coat or something light colored, possibly white or yellow depending on what i end up choosing for the exterior paint