• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New to this Forum

GARPh

Hi Everyone,

I got turned on to this sight by a member from another site in my quest to find a mustang that is a 'little bit different'. Note: I've been wanting a classic mustang since High School (nearly 20 years). I was originally set on a '67 mustang but have gotten really interested in the California Special (and HCS) since finding this site.

I'm in Atlanta so I think one would be a hit out here. Where would you suggest I start looking? I really like the more rare colors (diamond blue, sea foam green, etc). I would really like to stay away from the more common colors, white, red, Acapulco Blue, etc. I saw one on EBay a few days ago that was Brittany Blue but the ended the auction early before I could even get an opinion on it.

I would be looking for a 'little project'. By that I mean I would be willing to do or have some work done on the car but I would like it to at least be drivable. I don't think I would be interested in a trailer queen. I would be in over my head with a rolling shell.

Thanks for reading and let me know what advice you have.

Emily

hookedtrout

Welcome Emily, if you looking for a 68 GT/CS or HCS you are in the right place, there is a classifieds section here and there always seems to be a few for sale, we have a large group that constantly scans all the sale sights like Ebay and Craigs List and whenever they find one for sale they post a link so start hanging out and checking the Classifieds here on this sight and you will more than likely get an idea of what's out there and what they will cost you.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the cars as well and you will learn everything there is to know.

Perkchiro

Welcome Emily. You came to the right place. There are a ton of good folks on this site with good experiences and knowledge of the California Special. Good luck with your search and when you have questions, you can direct them here, there's always someone here willing to help.

robert campbell

Emily,
Welcome!! I am a non-stock guy. Modified is the name and tire shredding is the game!! Mustang's are made to be personalized!! And made to be "cheby" killers! I am great at spending other peoples money!!

Rob

franklinair

Welcome. I'm the one that suggested you check out the CS/HCS site. Pay no attention to the previous post from Rob Campbell- he'll get you in trouble, and help you spend all your money. (Just kidding Rob!)
Lots of help, info, and encouragement here. Cory's suggestion of checking the for sale cars thread is a good place to start. If you're adventurous you can drive up here to Franklin from ATL and I can show you the C/S that I own, and you can get an idea of what they're like. Just find our airport (that's where I keep mine).
Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil is the best! I want him to adopt me! Neil, Tim, Steve, and a bunch others I hope will adopt me!! Great site!!! You cannot go wrong!

Rob

Midnight Special

...Consider yourself adopted Rob! You & Neil's influence often has us sharing the same "house" as it is ;-)

Welcome Emily! The GT/CS is not just a car - it's an adventure!

Attachments

• 1687.jpg
    1687.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 34

classicsguy

Welcome to the site Emily!! We are a great bunch of people here and will help you out with the best FREE advice that you will get. I am like you;like UNUSUAL COLORS check out the discussion forum and you will see that I purchased a Pebble beige GT/CS. It does not get any more RARE than that. I too like DIAMOND BLUE and SEA FOAM GREEN. I had a 1965 GT coupe that was SPECIAL ORDERED in Diamond Blue. Very pale color but I loved it!!

green56

Emily you said that you were looking at a 67 what is it fastback , coupe lam also looking for a67 fastback that would add to my group 66 conv 68 California Special and a 67 fastback would fit right in good luck on finding your car like everbody says that this is the sight

OP
OP
G

GARPh

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Yes it was Neil that sent me over here and I am so glad he did. Neil- I sent you a PM on the other forum. I get up to Asheville quite a bit for horse shows (not Mustang shows but the kind of horses that make expensive manure). I think I come right past you as mom wants property in Waynesville so we go the back way from Atlanta.

Green56 to answer your question I was originally (and still may be) looking for a 67 vert but I want a GTA or well optioned in one of the unusual colors (blank color code or playboy pink etc).

Do any of you have any input into these cars or have any history on them? Feel free to PM me! I had to delete the www as it wouldn't let me post links so just add those back.

This one is expired but it was diamond blue so it caught my eye. I didn't know if it would still be for sale?

oldride.com/classic_cars/330534.html

This one is in Ephrata Pennsylvania so I would need to know the original color and get a Marti Report. I can't post the link but the craigs list ID is 1740967486.

Any what about the blue ones (both the GT/CS and the HCS) as well as the sea foam green?
mustang.biz

Last but not least I would really like one with PS/PB/AS. And I understand that I may not find that but I am definitely a purist. Would it be okay to modify one with some of these options or would that be frowned upon? THANKS for all your help and advice!

CougarCJ

Welcome Emily,

There were exactly 563 special paint code 1967 Mustang convertibles. Less than 8% of the total.

It seems to me, that modifying the 1968 GT/CS isn't that big of a deal up to a point. Color changes, safety and comfort upgrades, generally aren't that big of a deal.
I myself have added 1970 disc brakes, changing the exterior and interior color to blue. That is going to be a non-Ford blue hue on the exterior.
headspin.gif

I am also going to install dual exhaust with the GT rear valance, sequential LED tail lights, and my tail light panel will be painted argent. 15x7 GT wheels will be ordered too.

I feel that anything that is reversible is fine.

I would say that half or more of all GT/CS are considered modified rather than concours restored.

franklinair

Tried to send a PM to GARPh - but it couldn't send.
The gold C/S in NC listed in the for sale section looks interesting. Hopefully, the price would be negotiable.

Neil

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the site Emily.

As mentioned already keep an eye out in the Classifieds section here. Some nice cars come through here. eBay and Craigslist are always good sources as well.

You said you were initially looking for a '67, but started looking at the GT/CS & HCS cars. Well if you really want your cake and to eat it too... you could always look for a '67 High Country Special. They even made them in convertibles and they all had one of 3 special order paint colors. Not that you'll find many (any?) for sale without a long wait, but it's possible.

PonyGal

Welcome Emily. It is always good to get new members that share the same enthusiasm as we all do about this rare and beautiful Mustang. You will find the most friendly people here on the site who are always willing to help in any way. And, there is always someone willing to go and personally check out any GT/CS that you may be interested in purchasing if they are anywhere in the area. Post some info about any car you are considering before you commit to buy. The folks here will give you the best advise you could ever ask for!!

OP
OP
G

GARPh

Thanks for all the advice. I am pretty sure I will find what I want (or I will know that is what I want when I find it). That's a big mental hurdle because if you don't think your dream car is out there then why bother looking?

I'll be leaning on you guys for advice as I look at potential cars! I was flipping through some of the forum posts and saw someone that has like 4-5 GT/CS. My hero (or heroine)! And I love the suggestion for the 67 HCS vert! I do think I will probably find my GT/CS before the vert though. Who knows! It does look like everyone here posts and leads so that will be helpful.

We were flipping through some old photos and I found a picture of me with my first mustang (I think it was an '82) when I was in high school (car was not new to me- I graduated in '91). I remember asking for a classic red mustang because my dad had a client that owned a classics dealer. I got the '82 and never got over it! That's why I'm here today!:smile:

robert campbell

Your hero is Tim "Midnight Special"! 4 or 5 is close to half his herd of horses!! If you ever want to try out every option from 4-speed to Cobra Jet to 289 auto, just call him up. One of the greatest guys I have ever met and my friend for life! He is happiest following someone enjoying one of his cars!

Or a trip to Idaho will get you to Steve "rvrtrash"! River rider and owner of a bunch of Mustangs from a new Shelby to old school fun!! My brother separated at birth!

Or come up to Seattle. Got a couple fun Mustangs to drive! My wife and I met in 1975 and I built her a 1967 Fastback for the ages. We cannot be separated from our love! Mustangs and each other!!! Sappy, but true!!

And you have met my Dad Neil! The Godfather of our group who reminds me of my hotrod Dad! Bob Teets and John McGilvary are two other Godfathers!! Bought young and kept them!!

Enjoy this site. No other site is a friendly and helpful! The truw keepers on the GT/CS and HCS legacy thanks to our administrator, Jon Hanna

Rob

OP
OP
G

GARPh

Thanks for the links! I know about the Playboy Pink coupe. But I really want a vert in that color and in the South I want AC or at least add it. I know that its a 6 cylinder and I heard that adding AC to a 6 cylinder really pulls power form the engine.

I saw the GT/CS. I would like to stay in the teens with my purchase and do some of the freshening up of the car myself. I love the lime gold which seems to be a pretty rare color out here for some reason. However, in looking through the gallery it seems like a lot of the cars are Lime Gold so I think I am looking for a blue one now (really like the Brittany Blue, Diamond Blue, and Sea Foam Green)!.

Mosesatm

Thanks for the links! I know about the Playboy Pink coupe. But I really want a vert in that color and in the South I want AC or at least add it. I know that its a 6 cylinder and I heard that adding AC to a 6 cylinder really pulls power form the engine.

I saw the GT/CS. I would like to stay in the teens with my purchase and do some of the freshening up of the car myself. I love the lime gold which seems to be a pretty rare color out here for some reason. However, in looking through the gallery it seems like a lot of the cars are Lime Gold so I think I am looking for a blue one now (really like the Brittany Blue, Diamond Blue, and Sea Foam Green)!.

Another rare blue is Tahoe Turquoise. Miller511 has a beautiful GT/CS in that color.